When you install Portal for ArcGIS, a directory is created to store content saved and uploaded by users of the portal. This is known as the portal content directory. The default location is <Portal for ArcGIS installation directory>/arcgis/portal/usr/arcgisportal/content.
You can change the location of the portal content directory using the ArcGIS Portal Directory. For example, you may decide to put it on another machine that has more disk space or a more rigorous backup environment. It is recommended that you make this change before exposing the portal to end users.
Follow the steps below to change the location of the portal content directory.
- Log in to the machine as the account that was used to install Portal for ArcGIS.
- Make a copy of the portal content directory in your new desired location.
- Grant the account that was used to install Portal for ArcGIS 700 permissions to the new directory. If this is a network location, make sure the account can access the directory.
- Sign in to the ArcGIS Portal Directory as an Administrator of your organization. The URL is in the format https://webadaptor.domain.com/arcgis/portaladmin.
- Edit the directory location by clicking System > Directories > content > Edit Directory.
- Type the location of the new content directory in the Path text box, for example, /net/share/portal/content.
- Click Edit Directory to apply your changes.
- Click System > Directories > content to verify that the new file path is being used.
Your portal will now read from and write to the new content directory. Optionally, you can delete the old content directory or rename it, for example, from admin/arcgis/portal/usr/arcgisportal/content to admin/arcgis/portal/usr/arcgisportal/content_old.