The following steps guide you through the Portal for ArcGIS silent installation process.
Preparing to install Portal for ArcGIS
- Verify that your site meets the minimum system requirements.
- Log in to your machine as a user with administrative privileges. You cannot install Portal for ArcGIS as a root user.
- Open the ports as described in Ports used by Portal for ArcGIS.
- Close all noncritical applications on your server.
- Browse to the downloaded folder containing the Portal for ArcGIS setup or insert the Portal for ArcGIS media into the appropriate drive to automatically launch the setup program.
You are now ready to proceed with the Portal for ArcGIS installation.
Install Portal for ArcGIS silently on Linux
- Before beginning the installation, read the license agreement located at <CD_ROOT or untar directory>/Documentation/EULA.pdf and accept the terms.
- Run the setup silently at the prompt. See sample syntax below:
<CD_ROOT or untar directory>/Setup -m silent -l yes
Usage: Setup [Options]
-m; --mode MODE
Optional. Defaults to GUI.
MODE is one of the following: silent, console, or gui.
-l; --license-agreement CHOICE
Required for silent mode. CHOICE is either Yes or No.
Yes indicates that you have read and agreed to the Esri License Agreement (E204, E300). Visit esri.com/legal/software-license.html to read the license agreement.
-a; --authorization-file FULL_PATH_TO_AUTHORIZATION_FILE
Optional. If this option is not used, you will need to authorize the software after installation. FULL_PATH_TO_AUTHORIZATION_FILE is the full, absolute path to an .ecp or .prvc file provided by Esri.
-d; --directory DIRECTORY
Optional. By default, Portal for ArcGIS is installed in the user's $HOME directory. DIRECTORY specifies a different installation directory.
The path /arcgis/portal is appended to the installation directory.
If you're pointing the setup to a previous installation directory, the content in that directory is automatically used in the new installation. Content from installations prior to version 10.2 are not supported.
Installer runs in verbose mode.
Displays command line help and exits.
Displays usage examples of these options and exits.
- Configure Portal for ArcGIS to be started with the operating system by following these instructions:
- Switch to root user.
- Copy the <Portal for ArcGIS installation directory>/framework/etc/arcgisportal shell script to the appropriate supported Linux distribution-based locations provided below:
- RHEL: /etc/rc.d/init.d/
- SUSE: /etc/init.d/
- Change the directory to the applicable init.d folder, and check the arcgisportal script to make sure that root has at least read and execute permissions.
- Edit the script as follows:
Update the portalhome variable to the Portal for ArcGIS installation directory, for example, /home/username/arcgis/portal.
For RHEL only, add the line below just before # Description: Portal for ArcGIS Service:
# chkconfig: 35 99 01
Save the edits to the arcgisportal script.
- Still as root user, run the following commands to automatically create the links in /etc/rc*.d with the appropriate run levels:
$ chkconfig --add arcgisportal $ chkconfig arcgisportal on
$ insserv arcgisportal $ chkconfig arcgisportal on
- End the root user session.
- Reboot the operating system, and verify that Portal for ArcGIS restarts properly.