Services you add from the web or your hosted web layers may be secure. Anyone connecting to a map or application that contains these services or layers must have permission to use them. To avoid access problems, you can add the secure services to your portal as items, grant specific groups in your organization access to the service items, and use the URLs of those service items in your maps and applications.
Import SSL certificate from external organization
Before you can connect to the secure service, you'll need to configure your portal to trust the SSL certificate from the external organization where the service originates. For example, when you add a secure service from an external ArcGIS Server site, the SSL certificate used by the site must be imported into the portal. This establishes a trust relationship between the site and your portal, allowing you access to the service.
Add the service to your portal
Add the secure service or web layer to your portal. If prompted, store the credentials needed to connect to the service.
- Verify that you are signed in and have privileges to create items.
- Open My Content and click Add Item.
The Add Item window appears.
- Choose On the Web from The item is.
- Choose ArcGIS Server web service for the item type.
- Type the REST URL of the secure service in the URL field.
If the service is secure, the text A secure service was detected. will appear under the URL.
- If prompted, provide a user name and password for an account that has access to the service. Check Store credentials with service item. Do not prompt for authentication.
- Type or choose tags for the item.
- Click Add Item.
The service is added as an item to My Content.
Repeat these steps for each secure service you want to use in your portal.
Share the service with a group
As mentioned, you should create a group to share the service item with and only allow those members of the organization who you want to access your secure service to be members of that group.
- In My Content, check the box next to the title of the secure service item.
- Click Share.
The Share window appears.
- Check the box next to the group with which you want to share the service item and click OK.
My Content will show the service is shared with a Group.
Use the REST URL of the service item in maps that contain secure services
Use the REST URLs of the service items in place of the secure service URLs in your map or application so that people connecting to the map or application don't have to provide credentials to connect to every service.