Some maps include feature layers that can be edited by anybody viewing the map. These editable layers are useful when the map author wants community input. For example, an author might include an editable feature layer that allows the birding community to post their bird sightings directly on the map and attach media files, such as photographs, audio files, and video files, to the specific observation points. Because these features are part of the layer, any changes made on the map are immediately viewable to everybody who has access to the layer, even when the layer is part of a different map. Authors can enable editing on ArcGIS Server feature service layers and hosted feature layers.
The owner of an editable features layer decides whether to allow editing and sets an editing level. Editing levels determine if you can add features only, update feature attributes only, or add, update, and delete features. If the feature layer is editable, you will see the Edit button at the top of the map viewer. Edits are automatically saved to the layer.
- Open the map in the viewer and click Edit. An editing template appears on the left side of the map. If the feature layer supports updating features only, you won't see any items in the editing template for creating new features.
- To add a feature, click its symbol in
the template and click to add or draw it on the map.
- Press the Ctrl key to enable snapping. Snapping helps you line up the feature you are adding next to an existing one on the map. Once you've added the feature, a pop-up appears.
- Enter information into the available fields. The fields will vary based on the editable attribute fields in the layer. For example, you might enter a title, description, location, comment, and so on.
- To attach an image or other files with a feature, click Browse in the Attachments section of the pop-up and choose the file from your computer. The following file types are supported: 7Z, AIF, AVI, BMP, DOC, DOCX, DOT, ECW, EMF, EPA, GIF, GML, GTAR, GZ, IMG, J2K, JP2, JPC, JPE, JPEG, JPF, JPG, JSON, MDB, MID, MOV, MP2, MP3, MP4, MPA, MPE, MPEG, MPG, MPV2, PDF, PNG, PPT, PPTX, PS, PSD, QT, RA, RAM, RAW, RMI, SID, TAR, TGZ, TIF, TIFF, TXT, VRML, WAV, WMA, WMF, WPS, XLS, XLSX, XLT, XML, and ZIP.
- To edit a feature, click it on the map to open its pop-up and edit the information.
- To remove a feature, click it on the map to open its pop-up and click Delete.