You can configure your portal to register ArcGIS organizational accounts automatically for enterprise users the first time they access the portal or you can block automatic account registration.
If automatic account creation is turned off, enterprise users can still access the portal and they have the same privileges as a user who does not have an ArcGIS organizational account. If you want them to have more privileges, you must add them as members to your portal.
By default, new installations of Portal for ArcGIS do not allow automatic account registration. However, if you upgraded Portal for ArcGIS 10.2 to a later version, accounts are automatically registered for enterprise logins by default.
Registration behavior is controlled by the enableAutomaticAccountCreation setting in the ArcGIS Portal Directory.
- Sign in to the ArcGIS Portal Directory as an administrator of your organization. The URL is in the format https://webadaptorhost.domain.com/webadaptorname/portaladmin.
- Click Security > Config > Update Security Configuration.
- Edit the configuration JSON, setting enableAutomaticAccountCreation to either true, if you want accounts registered automatically for enterprise users, or false, if you want to add enterprise user accounts manually. For example, "enableAutomaticAccountCreation": true.
For information on adding enterprise accounts manually, see Adding members to your portal.
- Specify the default role for new accounts. You can set the default role as a publisher, user, viewer, or custom role.
- To set the default role as a publisher role, enter: "defaultRoleForUser":"account_publisher"
- To set the default role as a user role, enter: "defaultRoleForUser":"account_user". This is the default.
- To set the default role as a viewer or custom role, you will need to enter its role ID which you can derive from the ArcGIS Portal Directory: "defaultRoleForUser":"<role_ID>".
- Specify the default membership level for new accounts. You can set the default as level 1 or level 2.
- To set the default as level 1, enter: "defaultLevelForUser":"1"
- To set the default role as level 2, enter: "defaultLevelForUser":"2". This is the default.
- Click Update Configuration to save your changes.
When you click Update Configuration, your portal restarts automatically. This may take a few minutes to complete.