Overview of configuring support for Navigator for ArcGIS
Once you have purchased Navigator for ArcGIS licenses, follow the steps below to configure your portal to support the Navigator app.
Members can then log in to the portal with the Navigator app, download map packages for their work, and navigate offline. See the Navigator for ArcGIS help for details.
Manage mobile map packages
Navigator users who are signed in to your portal see the mobile map packages that you have made available for download. These map packages can be Esri-provided packages from My Esri or custom packages created in ArcGIS Pro. To make mobile map packages available to Navigator app users, you must register them with your portal.
Beginning at 10.4, Portal for ArcGIS comes with a Navigator Maps group owned by esri_nav. When Show ArcGIS Desktop Content is checked on, you will see a list of item details pages for Esri-provided mobile map packages in this group. The item details pages will be linked with the map packages you download from My Esri when you register them with the portal.
You'll register mobile map packages with your portal using the mobile map package registration tool that comes with Portal for ArcGIS. As needed, you can also use this tool to update, unregister, and list the mobile map packages in your portal.
Download Esri-provided mobile map packages
To download the mobile map packages provided by Esri, follow the steps below.
- Log in to My Esri and click My Organizations > Downloads > Downloads.
- On the Downloads page, browse to the desired product region. For example, go to Navigator Maps Europe.
- Click View Downloads to see the mobile map packages associated with your specified region.
- Click Download to download the mobile map packages for the areas you would like to provide to Navigator app users.
- Place the downloaded map packages in a location that is web accessible. For example, if you're using IIS as your web server, you can place the downloaded files in the c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ folder or another location that is configured as a virtual directory.
- Enable the .mmpk extension as MIME type. For example, if using IIS as your web server, follow these steps:
- Open IIS Manager.
- In the Connections pane, select your server in the tree view and double-click MIME Types.
- In the Actions pane, click Add.
- For File name extension, type .mmpk.
- For MIME type, enter application/mmpk.
- Restart your web server.
Register mobile map packages
Once you have acquired mobile map packages and hosted them on a web server, you must register them with your portal. Any updates to the mobile map packages must also be communicated with the portal. You can manage mobile map packages with the managemmpks tool. This tool is installed with Portal for ArcGIS in the <Portal for ArcGIS installation directory>\tools\managemmpks directory.
You can type RegisterNavigatorMobileMapPackages --help to get help with the tool syntax.
- Log in to the machine where Portal for ArcGIS is installed.
- Open a command prompt window using the Run as administrator option.
- From the command line, browse to the tools\managemmpks folder of the Portal for ArcGIS installation directory.
- Run the following command to register all mobile map packages listed in a text file or as comma separated values: managemmpks --register --url <map_package_download_server_base_URL> --file <package_names_list.txt> [--packages <package_names_CSV>].
Navigator app users can download map packages for navigation.
Update mobile map packages
When mobile map package updates are available from My Esri, you must update the packages with the managemmpks tool. Use the syntax managemmpks --refresh --file <filename> [--packages <name1,name2>].
Unregister mobile map packages
To unregister mobile map packages, use the --unregister command. You can use a text file list of packages or comma-separated package names with this command.
List all mobile map packages
Use the --list command to generate two lists: one of registered mobile map packages and one of unregistered mobile map packages. You can specify an output directory for this command to create text files of these lists. The text files can then be used as input for registering and unregistering .mmpk files.
List preinstalled mobile map packages
Use the --preinstalled command to list the mobile map packages that are preinstalled with Portal for ArcGIS. You can specify an output directory for this command to create a text file of the list. It can then be used as input for registering and unregistering .mmpk files.