As an administrator of your organization, you can configure the portal website to default to a specific region of the world and to display your preferred measurement units. For example, setting the region to Ireland (IE) will change the default extent of new maps. If your portal is configured to find directions, the units displayed for the directions will reflect the units set for the portal.
By default, no region is specified for the portal, so the extent for new maps will display the entire world. The portal will use United States standard units (miles, feet). If a custom basemap gallery is set for the portal, new maps created in the map viewer will adhere to the extent defined in the custom basemap.
To specify the region for the portal, follow the steps below.
- Open the ArcGIS Portal Directory and sign in as an Administrator of your organization. The URL is formatted https://webadaptor.domain.com/arcgis/sharing/rest.
- Determine which region you want to specify. Click Home > Portals > Regions.
- From the list, copy the region code of the area you want to specify. For example, to specify New Zealand, copy NZ.
- Click your browser's back button.
- In the upper right, click your user name, for example, initialadmin.
- Click the link next to Org ID.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Update.
- In the Region field, paste the region code you copied from above, for example, NZ for New Zealand.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Update Organization.
- In the upper right, click Logout to log out of the ArcGIS Portal Directory.
To specify the units for the portal, follow the steps below.
- Open the portal and sign in as an Administrator of your organization. The URL is formatted https://webadaptor.domain.com/arcgis/home.
- Go to My Organization > Edit Settings > Map.
- Browse to the Units section. Choose either US Standard or Metric from the drop-down menu.
- Click Save.
Your portal is now configured with the region and units you specified.