The steps below will guide you through the Portal for ArcGIS installation process.
Preparing to install Portal for ArcGIS
- Verify that your site meets the minimum system requirements.
- Log in to your machine as a user with administrative privileges.
- Open the ports as described in Ports used by Portal for ArcGIS.
- Close all noncritical applications on your server.
- Browse to the downloaded folder containing the Portal for ArcGIS setup or insert the Portal for ArcGIS media into the appropriate drive to automatically launch the setup program.
You are now ready to proceed with the Portal for ArcGIS installation.
Installing Portal for ArcGIS
- Run the setup program from the Portal for ArcGIS download folder or setup media and click Next.
- Read the master agreement and accept it, or exit if you do not agree with the terms. Click Next.
- Specify the Portal for ArcGIS installation directory. The Portal for ArcGIS installation directory is for the portal's software components. Click Next.
- Specify the portal's content directory. The content directory stores content installed with the portal as well as user-generated content.
- After installation, it is possible to change the account that is used to run Portal for ArcGIS. For more information about the account and how to change it, see The Portal for ArcGIS account.
- If Portal for ArcGIS has been installed previously, you can only choose to use the existing content directory if it is a local directory. If the existing directory is from a shared network location, you will not be able to specify it in the setup. Instead, you can configure your portal to use the existing content directory after the installation has completed. To learn more, see Changing the portal content directory.
Specify the account to be used by Portal for ArcGIS to perform a variety of functions in support of the portal. You are presented with two options: Specify the account name and password and I have a configuration file with the account information generated by a previous run of this setup.
The first option Specify the account name and password allows you to directly specify the account name and password. The account used can be a local or domain account. Keep in mind the account you specify does not have to be part of the Administrators group. If you use a local operating system account, the account is created for you if it does not already exist. The default account name is arcgis. The password policy for this account will be determined by your operating system and organization's security policy, not the Portal for ArcGIS setup. For more information, see The Portal for ArcGIS account.
If you enter a domain account, it must already exist on the domain and must be entered using the following format: mydomain\domainaccount.
If you have a portal configuration file generated by previously running the Portal for ArcGIS setup, choose the I have a configuration file option. Browse to the location of the portal configuration file. The Portal for ArcGIS account is automatically configured with account information stored in the configuration file.
- Click Next > Install.
- When the installation completes, click Finish. The Software Authorization Wizard dialog box displays. Complete the authorization process. For more information, see Authorizing Portal for ArcGIS. Ensure that your provisioning file includes entitlements for at least one portal member using a Level 2 license. You require at least one Level 2 license in order to create your portal.
If you encounter an error during the installation
If you encounter a failure during the installation, you can review the logs to help you troubleshoot. When doing this, first determine if you can access the ArcGIS Portal Directory. If you can, query the logs and review the messages. If not, review the log messages on disk. To access the logs on disk, browse to the logs directory and open the most recent log file (for example, C:\arcgisportal\logs\<machine name>\portal\portal-20150101.095803-8596-0.0.log). If necessary, you can share this information with Esri Support.