The Near Me widget allows you to find features within a buffer of a defined address or location, view more detailed information about those features, and get directions to the selected feature, if desired.
Additionally, the Near Me widget can be configured to find polygon features containing a defined address or location, instead of polygon features within the buffer.
Configuring the Near Me widget
The Near Me widget can be set to open automatically when the app starts. To do so, click the dot on the widget to change it to dark green.
Hover over the widget and click the small edit icon .
The configuration window for this widget appears.
- Optionally click change widget icon and replace it with your own image.
A file explorer window appears, allowing you to select a local image file to use as the widget icon.
- To configure the Search Source Settings section, see the Configuring the Search widget topic. It follows the same configuration steps as the Search widget.
- In the Search Settings section of the widget configuration, specify the following options:
- Search font color for search results—This is the color displayed in the title section of the search results.
- Select search layer(s)—Select a layer or layers to be configured in the widget.
- Set location button—Enabling parameter will display the set location button next to the search box. This will allow you to click the set location button, and click the map to set the search location. If you do not enable this parameter, clicking the map will automatically set the location.
- Only draw selected search layer results—Enabling this parameter will only display features of the layer selected in the listed search results.
- Set buffer visibility—Enabling this parameter will display the buffer.
- Set buffer distance—Define the default value of the buffer slider.
- Set maximum buffer distance—Define the maximum value of the buffer slider.
- Buffer distance units—Define the units used by the buffer slider, such as miles, kilometers, meters, or feet.
- Use geodesic buffe—Enabling this parameter will generate a geodesic buffer instead of a Euclidean buffer (planar).
- Address or location symbol—Select and adjust the symbol of the address or location symbol.
- Zoom to selected feature—Enabling this parameter will zoom to the selected feature and set location instead of the buffer.
- Return intersecting polygon(s)—Enabling this parameter will return the polygon or polygons containing the searched location rather than polygons within the buffer.
- Optionally, in the Directions Settings section of the widget configuration, set up the widget to use routing, which allows you the option to get driving directions to the selected feature.
- To configure the Directions Settings section of the widget configuration, specify the following options:
- Routing Service—Click Set and browse to a routing service in your ArcGIS Online organizational account or provide the URL to the routing service.
- Direction length units—Select the units used to display directions (kilometers or miles).
- Select symbol to display route—Select the display symbol, color, style, transparency, and width to be used for the route.
Using the Near Me widget
- Click the Near Me widget icon to open it.
- Define the area you want a buffer around by adjusting the slider to the desired number.
- Search for an address in the search bar or click a location directly on the map to define the location to be buffered.
You will see a list of the features found within the defined buffer for each layer as well as a count of how many features belong to each layer.
- Click a layer in the list of results and click the feature you are interested in.
You will see information about the feature on the Information tab.
- Click the Directions tab if the widget is configured to provide driving directions. It will provide you with driving directions to the selected feature from the defined location.