ArcCatalog and the Catalog window in ArcGIS for Desktop allow you to add connections to an ArcGIS Server site for publishing GIS services. Follow these steps to add a connection.
- In the Catalog tree, expand the GIS Servers node.
- Double-click Add ArcGIS Server.
- Choose Publish GIS services and click Next.
- For the Server URL, type the URL of the ArcGIS Server site you want to connect to, for example, http://gisserver.domain.com:6080/arcgis. If you need help constructing this URL, see Components of ArcGIS URLs.
- Choose ArcGIS Server from the Server Type drop-down list.
- During the publishing process, a service definition file is created and temporarily stored locally on disk. When the publishing process completes, the service definition is uploaded to the server and the local file is deleted. You can optionally change the default location by deselecting Use ArcGIS Desktop's staging folder and browsing to a new location. For more information, see Changing the default staging folder in ArcGIS for Desktop.
- Enter your User Name and Password. Optionally, you can choose to save your user name and password information so that you don't have to enter it each time you connect.
- Click Finish. Your connection appears in the GIS Servers node in the Catalog tree.
- Optionally, rename your connection. To do so, right-click the connection in the Catalog tree and choose Rename.
You are now connected with a publisher connection, which you can utilize to configure, create, and publish services and service definitions to the site.