It's possible to download ArcGIS updates onto your EC2 instance and apply them directly to ArcGIS for Server and ArcGIS for Desktop.
To minimize downtime, it's recommended that you apply the update on a copy of your site using a site template. The optional step 1 below explains how to do this. Once you have applied the update, you can redirect traffic into your updated site.
Use the steps below to update a site only if you are certain that it will stay a single-machine site. If there is any chance that your site will need to expand to include multiple GIS servers, you need to apply the update on two instances and create a site template to launch your final updated site, as described in Apply an ArcGIS update to a Windows multiple-machine site and Apply an ArcGIS update to an Ubuntu multiple machine site.
- Optionally, to minimize downtime during the update and test the update on a separate instance, use ArcGIS Server Cloud Builder on Amazon Web Services to create a template of your site. Then launch a new site from the template.
You'll apply the update to this copy of your site. Once you are ready, you can switch your incoming traffic to the updated site.
- Install the version of ArcGIS Server Cloud Builder on Amazon Web Services that corresponds to the update you want to apply. Be aware that when you do this, you will not be able to access your sites with an older version of Cloud Builder.
- Download the updates for ArcGIS for Desktop (Windows only), ArcGIS for Server, and optionally the ArcGIS Web Adaptor. You can download them directly onto the EC2 instance or you can copy them onto the instance from another machine.
- Set your ArcGIS Server account password to a known value. By default this password is random, but when you apply the update, you need to enter the password. If you need instructions on how to reset the password of a Windows operating system login, see the Microsoft documentation.
- Install the updates in the following order: ArcGIS for Desktop (Windows only), ArcGIS for Server, and ArcGIS Web Adaptor. Further information about installing the updates is available in the installation guides.
- If your site includes enterprise or workgroup geodatabases, upgrade the geodatabases. For instructions, see the topic for the type of geodatabase you are using:
- If you performed step 1 to launch your site from a template, switch your organization's address mapping to point at your updated site's URL. If your apps were referencing the site URL directly, you'll need to update any URLs in your apps to incorporate your new Elastic Load Balancer (ELB) address. You can get the ELB address by looking at the Manager URL in the list of site details in Cloud Builder.
Once you verify that the updated site is working, you can delete your original site and the template you created if you performed step 1.