ArcCatalog and the Catalog window in ArcGIS for Desktop allow you to add connections to an ArcGIS Server site for using GIS services. Follow these steps to add a connection.
- In the Catalog tree, expand the GIS Servers node.
- Double-click Add ArcGIS Server.
- Choose Use GIS services and click Next.
- For the Server URL, type the URL of the ArcGIS Server site you want to connect to, for example, http://gisserver.domain.com:6080/arcgis/services. If you need help constructing this URL, see Components of ArcGIS URLs.
- Enter your User Name and Password. Optionally, you can choose to save your user name and password information so that you don't have to enter it each time you connect.
- Click Finish. Your connection appears in the GIS Servers node in the Catalog tree.
- Optionally, rename your connection. To do so, right-click the connection in the Catalog tree and choose Rename.
You are now connected with a user connection, which you can utilize to view and use the services running on an ArcGIS Server site.