The Import button on the Service Editor allows you to automatically import the properties of an existing service definition file or published service. Using this method, you can avoid manually configuring service properties; instead, you can import the properties of a similar service definition file or published service.
For example, let's say you've published a map service that is configured to allow per-request modification of layer order and symbology. Now, if you wanted to publish another map service that uses the same pool of dynamic layers, you could simply import the properties of your published map service by clicking Import . This saves you the work of manually configuring the properties of your new map service to match the properties of your existing map service.
How to import service properties
When importing service properties, you can choose to have the properties come from a service definition file or a published service. If you are unfamiliar with service definition files, see About service definition files. To learn more about services, see What types of services can you publish?
To import the properties of an existing service definition file or published service, follow these steps:
- Display the Service Editor for the GIS resource on which you want to import service properties. You'll see the Service Editor before you finish publishing. If you've already published your GIS resource to the server, follow the instructions in How to publish a service to display the Service Editor.
- On the Service Editor, click Import .
- On the Import Service Definition dialog box, choose the service type from which you want to import properties.
- If you want to import the properties of a service definition file:
- Select Import from an existing Service Definition File (*.sd).
- Click the ellipsis (...) button and navigate to the service definition file.
- Select the service definition file and click Open.
- If you want to import the properties of a published service:
- Select Import from a published service.
- Select the server connection that grants you access to the service from which you want to import properties. If you don't see your connection in the list, you can create a new one by clicking Add ArcGIS Server . For more information on how to connect, see About connecting to ArcGIS Server in ArcGIS for Desktop.
- In the services list, select the service from which you want to import service properties.
- On the Import Service Definition dialog box, click Import.
Your GIS resource is now configured with the properties of an existing service definition file or published service. You can review these properties before publishing by stepping through the tabs of the Service Editor.