A cluster is a group of ArcGIS Server machines in an ArcGIS Server site that is dedicated to hosting a particular subset of services. You can use ArcCatalog or the Catalog window in ArcGIS Desktop to organize your ArcGIS Server machines into clusters.
To create a new cluster, follow the steps below. You will first disable single cluster mode in order to create multiple clusters.
- Open the ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory and log in with an account that has administrative privileges to the site. The Administrator Directory is typically available through a URL such as https://gisserver.domain.com:6443/arcgis/admin.
- Click System > Deployment > Update.
- Click the Single Cluster Mode drop-down menu and select FALSE.
- Click Update. All ArcGIS Servers in the site are restarted. Wait for them to restart.
- In ArcGIS Desktop, establish an Administer GIS server connection to the server. See About connecting to ArcGIS Server in ArcGIS Desktop for instructions on how to connect.
- Right-click your administrative connection in the Catalog tree and choose Server Properties.
- In the ArcGIS Server Properties window, click the Clusters tab.
- Click Add.
- In the Add Cluster window, enter a name for the cluster.
- From the Available Machines list, select the ArcGIS Server machines you want to add to the cluster and click the >> arrows to move them to the Added Machines list.
- Click OK.
Your cluster is created and appears on the Clusters tab.