The Import button on the Service Editor in ArcMap allows you to import the properties of an existing service definition file or published service. Using this method, you avoid manually configuring service properties; instead, you import the properties of a similar service definition file or published service.
For example, let's say you published a map service that is configured to allow per-request modification of layer order and symbology. Now, if you want to publish another map service that uses the same pool of dynamic layers, you can import the properties of your published map service by clicking Import . This saves you the work of manually configuring the properties of your new map service to match the properties of your existing map service.
How to import service properties
- The Service Editor is available when you publish a service in ArcMap.
- Click Import on the Service Editor.
- On the Import Service Definition dialog box, choose the service type from which you want to import properties.
- Follow these steps if you want to import the properties of a service definition file:
- Select Import from an existing Service Definition File (*.sd).
- Click the folder button and browse to the service definition file.
- Select the service definition file and click Open.
- Follow these steps if you want to import the properties of a published service:
- Select Import from a published service.
- Choose the server connection that grants you access to the service from which you want to import properties. If you don't see your connection in the list, you can create a new connection by clicking Add ArcGIS Server . For more information on how to connect, see About connecting to ArcGIS Server in ArcGIS Desktop.
- In the services list, select the service from which you want to import service properties.
- Click Import.
Your GIS resource is now configured with the properties of an existing service definition file or published service. You can review these properties by stepping through the tabs of the Service Editor.
Once you confirm the properties are correct, proceed with publishing.